Hurricane Harvey hit the Texas coast as a Category 4 storm on Friday, August 25. Damage from the storm and subsequent flooding is widespread. It will take months, and in some areas years, to restore Houston to its former state. As a part of our mission to make disciples, specifically through gospel-centered service, we are called to respond. We are called to provide for the physical and spiritual needs of these people in crisis by praying, giving and using our resources and influence. It is an opportunity to show the love of Christ and live out the gospel to our world.
- Pray for the storm to abate and floodwaters to recede. Even the wind and the sea are obedient to our Lord (Mark 4:41).
- Pray for the people who have had to evacuate their homes, especially those with nowhere to go. Pray for those unable to evacuate, who are stranded in their homes. Ask for the Lord’s provision for these people.
- Pray for the first responders, National Guard, disaster relief volunteers and all others working to rescue those who are stranded, restore power to those without it, render aid to the injured and prevent as much damage as possible. Ask for safety and endurance for these men and women.
- Pray for the grieving, those who have lost loved ones or suffered injuries, and those who have lost their homes. Ask the Lord to be their comfort and strength through the upcoming days, weeks and months.
- Donate to the Disaster Relief Ministry of the Southern Baptists of Texas Convention.
- Donate to Hurricane Harvey Relief through Samaritan’s Purse.
- Our campus Facebook groups are a great place to connect with others in the church who are organizing or participating in local donation drives. If you know of another way to give toward Hurricane Harvey relief, please share with your local congregation through these groups.
- Volunteer with the Southern Baptists of Texas Convention. SBTC predicts that response teams will continue to work over the next 8 – 12 weeks.
- Volunteer with Samaritan’s Purse. They are asking for thousands of volunteers over the next several months.
- Volunteer with the Houston Church Planting Network. HCPN is a network of churches planting churches to reach every man, woman and child in the Greater Houston region with the gospel. Learn more about HCPN’s relief plans here.
- Our campus Facebook groups are a great place to connect with others in the church who are going to serve those affected by Hurricane Harvey. If you are planning to go or want to know about other opportunities to go, check your campus Facebook group.